Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Chicken and Green Chile Enchiladas

It is a balmy 6 degrees here now and I am going to try and go out for a short 3 mile run as soon as I post this blog entry. I have on two pairs of pants, three shirts, a fleece jacket, two pairs of socks, two pairs of gloves, my balaclava and a fleece hat.  Do you think I will be able to move enough to actually run or will I only be able to do a fast shuffle down the street? It will be interesting.

I am not a big fan of enchiladas and, in a restaurant, am never quite sure what to make of all of the sauce (spicy? green? red?) and the tons of cheese smothering enchiladas. If we are eating Mexican food, I prefer tacos, a burrito or some other lighter dish. However, when we lived in Australia, a friend of ours (from Texas) made us the most delicious enchiladas for dinner one evening. She made a pan of green enchiladas and a pan of red enchiladas. Regardless of the color, they were Yum. Yum. Yum. I loved them. 

Several years ago, I found this similar recipe for Chicken and Green Chile Enchiladas in Southern Living and have made it for my family many times since. They all loved it - even Caitlynne who, in those days, was eating onions. I don't think I made it at all when we lived in Thailand (couldn't find the green chiles) and when Christopher asked me to make it for dinner this evening, it sounded like a good idea. I was able to pick everything up when I was out running errands yesterday afternoon (as everyone does in 12 degree weather!). This is one recipe I follow to the "T" although I do use a reduced fat cheese and offer reduced fat sour cream and guacamole on the side. I will make a few tonight without the onion and garlic filling for Caitlynne. 
Southern LivingPhoto by: Southern Living

Chicken-and-Green Chile Enchiladas

Substitute leftover roast beef or your favorite shredded barbecued pork as a tasty alternative to chicken.
Southern Living AUGUST 2009
  • Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
  • Prep time:20 Minutes
  • Bake:30 Minutes

Ingredients

  • 3 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
  • 2/3 cup Onion-and-Garlic Mixture
  • 2 (4-oz.) cans chopped green chiles
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
  • 3 (10-oz.) cans enchilada sauce, divided
  • 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded Mexican four-cheese blend, divided
  • 8 (9-inch) burrito-size flour tortillas

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 425Âș. Stir together first 4 ingredients, 1 1/2 cups enchilada sauce, and 1 cup cheese.
2. Spoon about 1/2 cup chicken mixture down center of each tortilla; roll tortillas up, and place, seam sides down, in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over tortillas. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese.
3. Bake, covered, at 425° for 20 minutes; uncover and bake 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown.
Have a great Wednesday!

No comments: