Monday, June 4, 2012

Full Moon

Kevin had a conference call with someone in the U.S. very early this morning and left the house about 4:15 am.  Since I woke up when he got up to shower, I was able to get an early start on my run.  I was at the end of our street when I noticed how beautiful the moon was so I ran back to the house to get my camera and take a few photos.
 
 
It turns out, this particular full moon had special significance. Yesterday was a national holiday (yes, another one!) to celebrate Visakha Day. Visakha Day commemorates the birth, the enlightenment and the entry into the nirvana of Buddha. "Visakha Bucha" means the worship of the Buddha on the full moon day of the sixth lunar month. It usually falls in May but this year fell on June 4th. People go to the temples and listen to sermons about Dharma (Buddha's teaching).  In the evening, there are candlelit processions around the main building of the temple containing the Buddha statues.  Even though it was a holiday, it seemed like a normal Monday to me. ISB was open and it was a regular school day.  The kids finished all of their final exams last week and are just wrapping things up as Friday is the last day of school. The Embassy was closed but Kevin did go to his office for a few hours to catch up on emails.  

I had planned on going to the Babies' Home yesterday but Kevin took the car and the friend I can usually car pool with had other plans so it was a "no go". I did get to see Say Jon one day last week but could only take him to the little courtyard right outside his house. The carer told me he was fine but they just wanted to keep the babies separated from the rest of the children for another few days.  I do plan to go tomorrow and hope that he can be taken to the play room and interact with the other children.

Wherever you are, I hope you have a chance to view the beautiful full moon!

Have a great Tuesday!

No comments: