Sunday, December 16, 2012

Bonding Time

Christopher is feeling (and sounding) a little better every day. He missed both of his baseball games this weekend and, although he wasn't pleased about not playing, he just didn't have the strength to be on the field and he was still coughing quite a bit. After all of my lamenting last week about his team losing and my fear that they would lose their enthusiasm, they won BOTH of their games this weekend. I told Christopher he needs to stay home more often! Caitlynne's team won their game as well so it was a good weekend for us as far as BBSA is concerned. 

Last night was the Middle School "Snow Ball" social & dance. Caitlynne went with a group of her friends but Christopher just wasn't well enough to go. Unfortunately, he also had to extend his apologies to and cancel on his DATE! A couple of weeks ago (I was thrilled that he thought in advance - he must get that from his mother!), Christopher took the plunge and asked a girl to go to the dance with him. I imagine this is the beginning of the end.

Since he was disappointed about missing baseball and missing the dance, I searched for a fun activity that he and I could do together in the evening and found this recipe on one of my "daily blogs"

Homemade Chocolate & Peanut Butter Cups.

Combine 1 cup peanut butter, 1/4 cup powdered sugar and 1/4 tsp. of salt.

Melt about 20 ounces of chocolate (1 3/4 bags of chocolate chips) in a double boiler. Since I don't own a double boiler, I had to improvise a bit for this step and use a saucepan (and water) and a glass bowl but it got the job done. I wasn't paying attention though and poured both bags of chocolate chips into the glass bowl to melt so we ended up with a bit more melted chocolate than the recipe called for. However, as you soon will read, this mistake actually turned out to be a good thing.
 
Pour the melted chocolate into cupcake liners, coat the bottoms and sides and then stick the tray in the freezer for about 10 minutes so the chocolate hardens. 
Top the hardened layer of chocolate with a small scoop of the peanut butter mixture and press down.  
Then, top the peanut butter with the remaining chocolate and pop in the freezer again to harden. Although this might be very obvious to all of you, it is important to remember to leave enough chocolate so you have some to use when it comes time to top the layer of peanut butter. (This might have been when the extra chocolate from my previous *mistake* came in handy). I should note there was no alcohol consumed during this activity - Christopher and I were chatting and I guess I am just easily distracted. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  
Voila!
Enjoy!
To be honest, I have not tried one yet. I am sure they are delicious but I am afraid if I have one, I will end up eating them all. Kevin is due home late tonight so he will be my "tester". I told Christopher he could have one and he asked me to make him a peanut butter cup milkshake for his dessert.
This was definitely a fun activity for Christopher and I to do together. The recipe was very easy and, other than melting the chocolate, it didn't require any cooking or baking. If I had a proper double boiler, this is something that Caitlynne could easily do on her own. It was a little tricky to stir the chocolate on the improvised double broiler and I had to be very careful with the steam that escaped. 

I bought Caitlynne a pair of holiday earrings and she wore them last night to the dance. They look so sparkly and festive in this photo. 
Kevin is finally on his way home. He emailed me during his layover in Tokyo and should arrive here sometime shortly after midnight. Yay! Absence truly does make the heart grow fonder.

I hope you have a great Sunday.

No comments: