Friday, September 6, 2013

We Have A Thief!

And a chewer! Ugh! 

Chester is driving us crazy with his thievery (notice the sock tucked under the carpet near his front paws)...
He also snatched Mimmo's keys yesterday afternoon and it was only by the grace of God that I heard Mimmo ask Dan where his keys were at the same time I saw Chester slink into the sun room with the keys in his mouth.

Apparently theft wasn't good enough for him because he has now begun to chew anything that isn't nailed down. 
 

I have done some reading about how to modify this behavior but have yet to find a successful strategy. However, you can bet that the kids, Kevin and I have certainly (and very quickly) modified our behavior. All bedroom and bathroom doors are kept closed, everything is picked up and put away before we leave a room or the house and we watch him like a hawk. I tell you, this is worse than when the kids were toddlers! AGH!!!

I am off to Philadelphia today and then on to New York (Manhattan) tomorrow for a reunion with some college friends. One of my housemates from college was recently diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and we are attending a dinner Saturday evening at Carmine's (Upper West Side location) in his honor. Pete's diagnosis was a huge shock to me (and our group of friends) and definitely provided me with a very much needed reality check. Suddenly, my "first world" problems didn't seem so significant. Pete has been pursing a very aggressive form of treatment for the disease and it hasn't always gone as smoothly as it should. He has been in and out of the hospital many times, not only for the chemo treatments but also for infections and related medical issues. Pete is a wonderful father to his beautiful young daughter and I am always so happy when he is out of the hospital and is able to spend time with her. While Facebook has been great way for us to keep up with his treatments and see the photos he posts, it will be so wonderful to catch up in real life! I wish it could be under better circumstances though.

Have a great Friday!

No comments: