Saturday, September 14, 2013

Food!

Advance Warning - Temptation Ahead! Do not read this post if you are hungry!

One of my friends recently posted this on Facebook and it rang so true in our home as related to this blog!

My "reward" from Panera after a recent long run. 
Why is it that these pastries never taste as good as they look? I should have stuck to my usual ho-hum (everything bagel with veggie lite cream cheese). I would have been much happier. 

Appetizers and wine before dinner one evening with Jim and Jan. In my defense, this photo was taken before we received our air freight and I had nothing to serve the dips in other than their grocery store containers. We had garlic hummus, tzatziki and artichoke & parmesan dip with pita bread.
Dan (Kevin's brother), Dan (our contractor) and Jim (my brother) have been very generous with sharing their bounty of homegrown tomatoes with us. Nothing beats a fresh, homegrown tomato and we have a few favorite dishes that I like to make if we are lucky enough to get some. As I was editing this post, I realized that I could eat all of these dishes for breakfast, lunch and dinner! 

Fresh guacamole. I recently began making my guacamole with just avocado, red onion, tomatoes, and lime juice. I chop everything (and seed the tomatoes) and lightly mix it all together with some salt and pepper to taste. I used to add a dollop of low-fat mayonnaise or Greek yogurt for a little creaminess but we like this version better. 
Caprese Salad. 
Jan introduced me to this glaze and it is the absolute BOMB! I recently tried to make my own balsamic glaze and ended up with something that was a consistency between taffy and hard candy. 
If you don't have a Wegmans near you, I am so very, very sorry! Wegmans is probably the #1 reason why I love to grocery shop and cook.

One night while the kids were in North Carolina with Jim and Jan, Kevin and I went to Mass and then had dinner al fresco on our patio. 
My "little pony" in the background.
Bruschetta.
Chicken and veggie kabobs.
And, of course, a little vino. This is new-to-me wine I found at Total Wine & More, the ultimate wine store (think candy store for adults!). It was highly rated and reasonably priced so I thought I would give it a try. Yum! 
My favorite Grill Master!
Dinner is served.
The view from my seat. On nights like this one, I am so happy to be home. Sigh.
We have a few plants on the patio but started growing too late to expect much from anything. Next year we will have a garden for sure!
A few of these cherry tomatoes have ripened and Kevin has been able to get to them before the squirrels have.
Basil.
Of course, the boys were never very far away.
Last week, I made two kinds of gourmet pizza one night for dinner. Caitlynne asked for a Chicken & Pesto pizza and Kevin and Christopher like Barbecue Chicken & Red Onion so I made both. 
I experimented with a couple of things when I made these. First, in order to prevent a soggy bottom (which I have been struggling with for the last three or four times I have made pizza), I baked the pizza dough for about 15 minutes - then I put the toppings on and baked again for another 15 minutes. It worked - the pizza crust was cooked through and crispy on the bottom but the topping were not charred. In addition, (and for no particular reason) I put the mozzarella cheese before the chicken toppings. I think it made for a nicer presentation.
Delicious!
I think that should take care of all of the food photos that I have taken over the last few weeks. I hope I didn't make you too hungry!

Have a great Saturday!

No comments: