Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Monday's Post - A Bit Late

I had this post almost ready to publish yesterday but got so distracted by the sad news of the tragic events that happened at the Washington Navy Yard. My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected.

This pretty accurately described the mood in our home Sunday evening.
In all fairness to the Redskins, I couldn't find anything that was snarky and Giants-related to post or I would have done so. Thank goodness Virginia Tech won because between the Redskins and Giants, our teams were not doing so well. I am not sure what happened to the Giants but, when we sat down to dinner, the score was 17-16 and it had been a close game. When we finished dinner, I was shocked to see the score had changed to 38-16 in Denver's favor.

All of the painting of the lower level was completed Friday afternoon (and looks wonderful) and Dan and Mimmo began laying tile yesterday morning.
 
 
Dan and Mimmo mostly finished tiling the rest of the lower level today - I would post photos but I cannot walk on it until the morning. Their plan for tomorrow is to finish tiling a small section in the guest room and to begin work on the ledge and in the bathroom! 

About 3 weeks ago, I signed up to teach a religious education class at our church. The program was desperate for teachers to the point that our pastor made a plea at Mass for help. I teach a kindergarten class (6 girls and 4 boys) that meets just once a week (Monday afternoons) for 1 hour and 15 minutes. I am discovering exactly how very long an hour and 15 minutes can be! 

Yesterday was our second class and we learned about how God made the world and everything in it. The activity I planned was for the kids to make a mobile like the one in the photo below. I thought it went pretty well  - although there is such a wide range of skills in the class that I ended up "helping" a few children lot more than I thought I would have to. Some of the children can color and cut with scissors quite easily, others somewhat well and then there are a couple of kids who still scribble in a single color and don't even know how to hold a pair of scissors. I know everyone's skills will "even out" in a couple of years but I guess I am so far beyond that age with my own children that I forgot how time consuming a simple project can be. 
Have a great Wednesday!

No comments: