Friday, February 22, 2013

Happy Friday!

What a week this has been! I know Kevin won't like to read this but Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday were all busy shopping days for me. Over the three days, I went to four antique furniture shops in Bangkok, a blue and white porcelain factory & showroom about an hour away and the Benjarong Village (which I previously posted about here). Fortunately for Kevin, there wasn't much that caught my eye but I did pick up a few small things that were on my "to buy before leaving Bangkok" list (which seems to grow by a few items every day!). Now that we have scheduled our pack out date, I need to get going and buy all of the home decor, art, porcelain, etc. that I want to take back with us. For the most part, the prices here are so much cheaper than in the U.S.

Earlier in the week, I was catching up on a few of the design blogs that I read and saw a reference to an antique shop that sells monogrammed vintage-inspired plates and platters. I don't know what possessed me to click on the link to the shop but as I scrolled through the shop's inventory, I saw this plate under the "K"s...
No one but my mother (and possibly her siblings) will appreciate this but this is the pattern of my great-grandmother's china which I "inherited" when Kevin and I were married. According to my mom, my grandfather's mother brought it with her from England when she and my grandfather came to the U.S. in 1926 (?). My great-grandmother lived with my grandfather (and then, after he was married, his family) this china was their "special occasion" china. The set was eventually passed down to my mother's mother who used it until she died in the early 1990's and then I received it in 1996. What a coincidence to not only see the Royal Albert pattern (which is difficult to find) but also for the plate to be monogrammed with a "K". A few years ago, I found a couple of pieces with this pattern on ebay but I haven't seen any listed lately. Not that I spend a lot of time looking.

We have had a busy week with sports. Caitlynne and Christopher are playing basketball on Monday nights at ISB in a 12 week program for 13-15 year-olds. They learn and practice skills and then the two teams play a couple of scrimmage games. Christopher had baseball practice Tuesday and Thursday nights and both sessions included a lot of time in the batting cage and then hitting on the field (coach pitch). His coach told me that he had the best hitting of the team that night so maybe there is hope that he is pulling out of his slump. His hitting needs to be spot on as he is already at a disadvantage - he is one of only two 7th graders on the team and the 8th and 9th graders on the team are so much bigger and stronger. This is great for our team but not so great for Christopher as far as his position in the batting order. Caitlynne and I are playing netball up at ISB on Tuesday evenings. There are 8 middle school girls who want to form a proper netball team and compete downtown so we (5 "older" ladies) practice/play against them. They can outrun and outlast us on the court us but our passing is more accurate and we can all shoot well so we manage to hold our own, even with the age difference and being outnumbered. It is fun to get out and have a run around the gym for an hour or so. 

Christopher has also been playing volleyball after school in the intramural games. He will be trying out for the ISB Under 13 volleyball team next week and Caitlynne will try out for the ISB Under 15 softball team. She also wants to participate in track and field which is the 4th season sport at ISB. However, that will be at the height of our summer so it will be interesting to see if she manages to stick with it.

Have a fantastic Friday!

No comments: