Wednesday, April 4, 2012

"Wicked"ly Good

Two posts for today!  In addition to my earlier "birthday wishes" post, I wanted to get this one up today before my life becomes overcome by events.

Definitely a thumbs up for "Wicked"!  Caitlynne saw "Wicked" last summer at the Kennedy Center with my sister in law but I knew very little about the story line.   I thought about reading the book but I never found the time so I went into the theater with no idea what to expect.  All I knew was that "Wicked" was, for lack of a better word,  the "prequel" to the "Wizard of Oz".  However, after seeing the play, the ending of "Wicked" actually took place parallel to "Oz".   It was an amazing show and I would highly recommend it!  The Grand Theater was smaller than I expected (in fact, Jacki and I thought the theater at ISB was bigger) but it was perfect for this performance.  Our seats were very good - center aisle, row JJ.  

As the teaser on the playbill very accurately noted, "So much happened before Dorothy dropped in".  "Wicked" follows the story of the two Witches of Oz (the Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda the Good Witch) from the time they meet at university and through the events leading up to (and beyond) Dorothy landing in Oz.  The Wizard, the flying monkeys, the tin man, the cowardly lion and the scarecrow from "Oz" all  make appearances.  There were several "ah ha" moments as things happened that related to "Oz".  A friend who had seen it a couple of weeks ago said to me that, after seeing it, she didn't realize she had so many questions about the Wizard of Oz.  Now that I have seen it, I totally agree with her.  

So, if you have the opportunity to see the show, I would encourage you to do so.  We all had a great time.  
Have a great Wednesday!

No comments: