Monday, January 21, 2013

Leaving China and Odds & Ends

We woke up early the next morning (New Year's Day), packed our suitcases and met Jim and Jan for breakfast in one of the hotel's restaurants. We were all flying back to Bangkok that day but our flight left in the early afternoon and Jim and Jan's flight left around 7 pm. Shiv was staying an additional day and then flying back to Washington After we left, they were going to walk to a park that overlooked the Forbidden City. We made it to the airport, relaxed in the very nice Thai Airways lounge (thanks to all of Kevin's travel, the airlines really roll out the red carpet for him!) and had an uneventful flight back to Bangkok. Christopher and I went to pick Sonder up from the vet's where he was boarded during our trip. As usual, he was ecstatic to see us and embarrassed me to no end with his craziness in the reception area. Caitlynne and I went back out to the airport to pick up Jim and Jan at midnight (way past my bedtime!). Tomorrow I will begin to post about their visit in Thailand. 

I have to share this nice photo of Jim and Jan taken this weekend at the Washingtonian Magazine Inaugural Ball at the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum. Sigh. I miss Washington. So. Much. 

Take away the heavy coats, hats, scarves and hoodies and they clean up pretty well. 
This morning, Jan emailed me the photos (below) of their Hot Pot dinner in Beijing. (I stole the photo above from Jan's FB page).
  
Hot pot is prepared and eaten in a manner that is very similar to fondue.Thinly sliced meat, seafood, vegetables, wontons and dumplings are put into a simmering pot of broth and cooked at the table. After the food is cooked, it is usually dipped in a sauce and eaten.  

Kevin is somewhere in the air between Tokyo and here and should arrive home sometime after midnight. Yay! He isn't here for very long this time but it will be wonderful to see him and we will enjoy what time we have. I keep telling myself that the end is in sight. 

Have a great Monday!

No comments: