Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween!

I completely forgot that it was Halloween until a friend with a young child mentioned it this morning. Oops! Both of the kids also forgot and I am taking that to mean we are truly beyond the costume/trick or treating stage of adolescence. Halloween is not a favorite holiday of mine so this is not such a bad thing. I might have even done a little happy dance! I certainly won't mind having them stay home and hang out with me tonight. 

I am very proud to report that I held myself in check today at Once Upon A Time and Yesterday Once Again. Khun Hui and (I believe) her brother own these two shops, which are located just steps from each other on Rama IV Road, East of the Lumpini Park. Khun Hui just returned from a very successful buying trip to China and she had many beautiful pieces of furniture and accessories on display. It was so hard not to give in to temptation and do some serious buying. There was a beautiful sideboard that was calling my name but it was so far out of my price range that it still could have been in China! 

I did buy a few accessories though (to contribute to the local economy, of course).

I have seen quite a few of these Chinese calligraphy brushes displayed in homes in Nichada and always thought they would be a very unique accessory for our home in Virginia. Khun Hui purchased a lot of brushes on her trip and had a nice selection to chose from.

The front.
 
 
The back.
 
 
The entire effect on the coffee table in our living room. 
 
My friend and I stopped by another shop, Orientations, located right off of Rama IV Road. Now, there I did see a sideboard that I liked and was within my budget (Kevin is probably shocked that I even know that word!). I took its measurements as well as a few photos and will think it over for a few days. 

It has been rainy and miserable here today. We had a strong storm come through the night before last and another storm yesterday afternoon and them again this morning. I was hoping that we were through the monsoon season but it doesn't look that way. I shouldn't be complaining about a little bit of rain when the Mid-Atlantic coast is dealing with the aftermath of Sandy. The photographs and stories about the impact of Sandy on New York and the coastline of New Jersey are shocking. We continue to think about and pray for all those who were in the path of this storm.  I think the kids are getting tired of me saying how lucky we are not to have to worry about the beach house in Bethany. I am certain that it would have been damaged in some way by the storm. Kevin reported that there was one tree down in the backyard of our home in Virginia but it was in the woods and may be left over from the violent storm that we had in June. 

Not much else to report on today. I wrote this post while listening to the new Toby Keith album,  "Hope On The Rocks", which was released yesterday. It is the usual Toby (a mix of ballads and the crude & rude) but I still like it. Much to Kevin's dismay, I am a big country music fan. I don't know how or why this happened but that is the way it is. The difference in our musical tastes is really the only area where Kevin and I are not at all compatible. This isn't ever a problem unless  we are on a long road trip and, then, our rule is that the driver selects the music to be played. I have found a few country songs on his playlist so it can't be all that bad.

Happy Halloween and have a great Wednesday!

No comments: