Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Funny And Funnier


You decide which is which. Both made me giggle.

We are still adjusting to me going back to work. I say "we" but I guess I really mean "me" as it seems that I am the only one who had to make significant changes in how things get done around here now that I am working. Christopher might disagree with that statement as last week he and I had a little "come to Jesus" about him making his bed, picking up his room and putting his dirty laundry in the hamper. At age 14, I think it is time (beyond time, really) for him to consistently take on some responsibility. So far (knock on wood), he has completed all of his chores each day and, more importantly, he has not given me any attitude about it. I guess my "incentives" for NOT doing those chores were pretty spot on.

I am not too proud to admit that gave myself quite a few "passes" for the first week of starting my job. I didn't stress out about not running (not really, but I did try not to stress). I didn't cook. At all. Seriously. We had take away. Every. Single. Night. I also left the house a few mornings with dishes in the sink and a laundry basket full of dirty clothes. Now that I am in week 2 of working, I am figuring out how to fit it all in and slowly easing back into things. I am getting up at 4:45 a.m. so I can get out and run or walk with the dogs before work. In order to avoid getting up so early every day, I would like to try and run after work. Maybe after Sonder has recovered enough, I can take them out for a short run when I get home, even if it is just once or twice a week. I planned out a menu for this week and will attempt a new recipe tonight and another one on Friday night. My cleaning lady comes tomorrow so that is a bit of a cheat but I have been good about picking up at night before bed and before I leave in the mornings. I put the laundry in before I leave in the morning and Kevin has been drying and folding it in the evening. I know it will take another week or two before I really get into a routine but at least it seems to be coming together. This is great because I really love my job and don't want to second guess myself about whether me working is a good thing or not. 

Christopher has been asking me to make chicken with a wine & cream sauce. Fortunately for him, I started to search for a recipe on the internet and found the recipe below. Wow! How amazing does that look?!?

Pan-Seared Scallops on Linguine with Tomato Cream Sauce


INGREDIENTS
1 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup minced shallots
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
2 tablespoons whipping cream
1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
2/3 cup chopped seeded plum tomato
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 cups hot cooked linguine
Cooking spray
3/4 pound large sea scallops
1/8 teaspoon salt
Chopped fresh parsley for garnish

DIRECTIONS
1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a medium skillet; bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 1/2 cup (about 5 minutes). Drain mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl, reserving liquid; discard solids.
2. Return wine mixture to skillet. Add cream; cook over medium heat 1 minute. Add butter, stirring until butter melts. Stir in tomato, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Add linguine; toss well. Cover and keep warm.
3. Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Sprinkle scallops with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Arrange scallops in pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until done. Add scallops to pasta mixture; toss gently to combine. Garnish with parsley.

I found the recipe on yummly.com which is a "new to me" website so it will be interesting to see how the dish comes together. I will, most likely, replace the scallops with chicken as that is what is preferred in our home. I also think that I will add another tomato as well as some chopped zucchini and sliced mushrooms to bulk it up a bit and add some more veggies to our meal. 

Have a great Wednesday!

No comments: