Monday, December 12, 2011

Cold Weather

I went out to walk the dogs early this morning and was about halfway down the block when I realized that I was FREEZING! I had to go back to the house and grab a sweatshirt before continuing. It was only 69 degrees but, after all of the hot weather we have had lately, it felt so cold!  My blood must be so thin. I don't know what I am going to do when we move back to D.C. and I have to deal with the cold and snowy mid-Atlantic Coast winters. I will probably hibernate from October through April. As I walked the dogs through Nichada, I noticed all of the guards were bundled up much more than I. They all had hats on and zipped their jackets right up to their chins. I was kind of bummed that it was not a running day for me as I am sure I would have had a great run without the heat and humidity. I hope the cooler weather holds through the rest of the week.   

We had a busy week and weekend...
Christopher had his Winter Choir and Strings Concert Thursday night at school. The vocal music program for the middle school at ISB is very strong - there are 6th, 7th and 8th grade choirs, an all girls choir and an all boys music ensemble. Christopher takes choir as an elective class and I don't think he minds it too much but I know he would rather have an extra class of P.E. instead. If he had chosen to play an instrument, he would have to practice every day and would also be in band (or strings or orchestra) so I think he is of the opinion that choir is the lesser of two evils.    

Saturday night both Caitlynne and Christopher went to the Middle School "Snow Ball". This "fancy dance" has been the topic of conversation at school and in our home for the past several weeks (months?) as it is THE big social event before the winter break. Caitlynne and her friends had their hair and nails done and got all dressed up. The boys don't seem to get as excited. Christopher was going to wear a pair of shorts and a polo shirt until, with great protest from him, I made him change into khakis and a nice shirt. He did wear his running shoes which I didn't notice until I saw some photos on Facebook. 

Caitlynne and a few of her friends...
Christopher and his friends...
Caitlynne and some more of her friends...
While they were at the dance, Kevin and I went downtown to the Four Seasons for his office Holiday party. Most of the larger and well known hotels are located in the area surrounding the Embassy and they were all decked out with white lights, wreaths, decorated trees, etc.  Everything looked so festive and it was very easy to get in the holiday spirit. The hotel was totally deserted though...probably one of the unfortunate after effects of the flooding. We had a nice time and it was definitely my kind of party as we were home by 10:30 pm. Kevin left for D.C. very early Sunday morning. He will be gone a little over a week this time - he had a suitcase packed full of holiday gifts for our families and will return with a few presents for the kids that, for one reason or another, I couldn't get mailed here through the APO or the diplomatic pouch. 

Christopher had baseball practice yesterday morning and Caitlynne had her assessments for softball in the late afternoon. I mixed up the times and she missed the session with the 7th grade girls so she had to play with the 8th - 12th grade girls. If it were me, I would have been very intimidated but she held her own and did very well, especially for never having played softball before. Kevin is going to coach Caitlynne's team and will be an assistant for Christopher's travel team. The travel team is preparing for a tournament in Perth, Australia during the last week in March. I think we are all going to go as some good friends from Alice Springs will be relocating there after the New Year so we will be able to visit with them.

Have a great Monday and a great week!

No comments: