Sunday, August 21, 2011

One Month In Bangkok

It is hard to believe that today, August 21st, is our one month anniversary of arriving in Bangkok!  I am somewhat amazed when I think back over what we have learned and been exposed to in that very short time.  It has been a good month though and I am very happy at how well we all seem to have settled in.  This weekend was busy... swim team tryouts for Caitlynne Saturday morning, basketball practice for Christopher Saturday afternoon and then a neighborhood picnic Saturday evening.  Sunday was a bit slower with Christopher just having baseball practice but we kept busy with getting homework finished, packing up for school and organizing for the week. 

Late this afternoon, Kevin, Caitlynne and I walked over to the pool and this gorgeous blossom caught my eye...
After looking a bit closer, I discovered it was a banana tree. 

During our three years in Miami, I had seen many banana trees.  One year, Christopher, my mom and I went down to the Fruit and Spice Park in the Redlands where they had several varieties on display - we even got to taste a few different types during our tour.  Last summer, we went to vacation on Sanibel Island (West Coast of Florida) and saw many banana trees on the resort property.  In addition, several of our friends in Miami have banana trees in their backyards.  In fact, if I remember correctly, I think one house that we looked at during our house hunting trip had a banana tree in the backyard that was LOADED with bananas.  However, I have never seen bananas in this state of growth... it was so interesting to see the actual bananas growing out of the flower blossom.  Truly a work of art. 


Okay, enough with the bananas and onto REAL food. 

I have totally been craving pizza for the last few weeks.  However, not having my breadmaker to make our usual whole wheat pizza dough and being VERY  unwilling to try the Thai version of pizza, we have gone without.  It has been a struggle.  Fortunately, last week, I found two whole wheat Boboli pizza crusts at the Embassy's American grocery store so I will leave you with photos of our dinner this evening.

Cheese pizza for my fussy eater (Caitlynne)...
Veggie pizza (before the cheese) for Kevin and I (Christopher always has a bit of both)...
A big shout out to Kevin for cutting up all of those veggies for me!

The veggie pizza with the cheese...
The all important bottle of Australian Shiraz (twist cap of course!)...
Out of the oven and ready to eat!

While it certainly was not NY pizza (or even close), I think it satisfied the craving.  At least for a few weeks.

Just for fun I tried some of Caitlynne's nail polish this afternoon.  While I totally love the "bling", it really is too much for me. 

Have a great night everyone!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the sparkly nails!! Nothing beats NY pizza (from the NYer)

Ellen said...

Why didn't my name show up on my comment, so weird. That was me, Ellen above. Sorry!

Beautifully Seaside // Formerly Chic Coastal Living said...

hahahaha! I love this post! yuou are really turning into a real blogger! Love the nails! I bought some gold glitter nail polish! The pizza looks delicious Bangkok or not! Love that you are very generous with the cheese!