Friday, August 5, 2011

Departure Day

Kevin and I woke up at about 3:30 am and went for a short (3 mile) run with Jan and the dogs. Whenever we move, I do a "farewell" run on the day of our departure. I guess it is my closure with leaving one home and moving on to a new adventure. I still remember, quite clearly, my last run in Fairfax on the day that we left for Australia (six years ago). I am very concerned about how my runs will be in Bangkok and wonder if I will be able to keep up with my mileage given the constant heat and humidity. Only time will tell.

After our run, we woke the kids up, showered and packed up Jim's truck, Jan's Honda and our rental car to drive to Dulles Airport. Unloading everything was a bit frantic, as was to be expected with the kids, the dogs, suitcases, dog crates & carry-ons. Thank goodness Mom, Dad, Jim and Jan could stay with our carry-ons while we checked in and got the dogs through United and TSA. Kevin had gone to the airport twice the previous week to speak with United about the process of checking the dogs in as our baggage. Whatever they told him sounded too easy and I was so worried that this is where we would encounter some trouble. Surprisingly, everything went just like United said it would and the dogs were crated and taken to the plane without any problems. Of course, Sonder barked quite a bit and we could hear him throughout the airport as they took them away. So embarrassing. While at the ticket counter, we ran into the best man from our wedding, Dave and his son, who were flying to LA for the week. It was such a nice surprise to see them before we left!

Then, we said our "good-byes" to everyone (always so, so sad, although this time, I DID NOT CRY!) and headed for the gate!

Next up... The Flight & Arrival in Bangkok

No comments: