Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Farewells

It is that time of year again... the summer transfer season has arrived in Bangkok! This time of year is always difficult for those who live either a corporate ex-pat life or are part of the foreign service.  So many people are coming and going.  There is a huge turnover at this Embassy during the summer - last year about 200 new families arrived over the three month period and I am sure an equally significant number departed. Kevin is losing a fairly large group from his office and there will be a lot of new people for him to get to know when we return in early August. Some of our friends are moving back to the U.S. while others are moving on to another foreign assignment. We have friends going to Kuwait, Japan, Beijing, England, India, Colombia, Dubai... the list goes on and on.  We truly have a very international group of friends!  If only we were independently wealthy and could fly around the world and visit everyone!

School ends next Friday and most families (those moving as well as those going on vacation) have booked flights out of Bangkok early Saturday morning. There will be a mass exodus from Nichada!  One of Christopher's very good friends (an "attached at the hip" kind of friend) is moving back to the U.S. and they are leaving immediately after school ends next Friday. I am dreading that departure the most.  Fortunately, Christopher's friend and his family are moving to a small town in Connecticut that is not too far from my parents' home so we are planning a day trip over to visit them in early July. 

It is never easy to say good-bye to friends and, for me, it seems to get harder and harder as each transfer cycle approaches.  I realize, from past moves, how easy it is to lose touch with friends over distance and time.  So, not only am I saying, "good-bye" to friends here but I also mourn for friendships lost since our moves to & from Australia and Miami.  While I am not a huge Facebook user, it is an excellent way to stay connected and in contact with people from all different phases of our lives.  Probably the only good thing about this time of year is that we are invited to quite a few going away parties.  For once, our social calendar is just as booked as the kids'.  It helps to have so many events to go to - less time to be sad and mopey!  I am meeting a lot of new (to me) people who live in Nichada, have kids at ISB or work at the Embassy and, although we are losing friends, we are gaining some as well.

I finished glazing the remaining two ceramic pieces that I made last week and the instructor was going to fire them last night & into today.  They need to cool for a while so I will pick them up tomorrow morning.  I did bring my wrapped vase and a plate home but I will spare you the photos until tomorrow! The instructor is thinking about offering a pottery class for the Fall 2012 session.  The potter's wheel is not working quite right and she needs to make sure that it will be repaired before she can finalize the class so we shall see.  She had me the minute she said, "potter's wheel" - how totally cool would it be to use one of those!  I am already thinking about what I would make.  The potter's wheel opens up an entirely new line of pieces that could be made... pitchers, deep bowls, ginger jars... I wouldn't know where to begin.

Last night was our final netball training for the season.  We just played four 10 minute games on half court but it was still a good workout and I wasn't a bit sore this morning. I even scored 4 or 5 points over the course of the night.  We rotate positions for each game and I dread when I have to play one of the positions (goal attack and goal shooter) that do the shooting (aka point scoring). I totally stink at shooting but last night I did pretty well (or at least held my own) which gives me a small, teensy-tiny, itty-bitty, miniscule glimmer of hope that I can continue to improve with enough practice.  The middle school girls train tomorrow and then they will be finished as well.  We are only losing one or two of the adult players to moves out of Bangkok and will try and recruit a few more so we can field two teams and start playing again in early September.  Next week, in typical Aussie/Kiwi/Brit tradition, we are going out for drinks to celebrate a successful "season".  Love those ladies!

Have a great Wednesday!

1 comment:

Jane said...

Hello from Jane in Miami and I caught up tonight, once again, reading your blog! The Mormile's are looking forward to seeing you in the US -- in Virginia (maybe), in New York (Adirondacks/Saratoga) and in MIAMI !!!!