Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Say What?!?

The photo made me laugh a little, especially after a conversation Kevin and I had last night...

Our living room the day we moved in, almost 2 years ago.
Our living room this morning.
Last night as we were going up to bed, Kevin turns to me and, I kid you not, asks me if that is the same furniture we have always had in the house. He does know how to make me laugh. And, it isn't always intentional.

I am busy packing again today but, for a change, I am packing suitcases and not boxes! We are flying to Hanoi, Vietnam tomorrow for five days. Vietnam is the last "must see" on our list and we are just barely managing to squeeze this trip in. We arrive in Vietnam very early Friday morning and plan to spend the rest of Friday exploring the markets in the Old Quarter and the area around Hoan Kiem Lake, both of which are very close to our hotel. Saturday's itinerary  includes a visit to the Hanoi Hilton, a show at the Thang Long Water Puppet Theater and  (at Caitlynne's specific request) seeing the embalmed body of Ho Chi Minh at the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum. 

Early Sunday morning, we are driving about 4 hours east of Hanoi to Ha Long Bay for an overnight cruise on a junk boat in the Bay. 
(photo courtesy of Disdero)

We will return to Hanoi Monday afternoon and return to Bangkok Tuesday morning. 

While I need a trip to Vietnam right now like I need a hole in the head, it will be a nice break for us to get out of Nichada and Bangkok before our move to the U.S. The house is empty and, since most of the kids' friends have left for vacations, there is very little for us to do. I am *almost* envious that Kevin gets to go to work every day and do something productive. I have tried to cook a few meals here and there but we have been ordering a lot of "to go" dinners. The cookware (aluminium!) the Embassy provided in our "Survival Kit" is horrible and, coupled with the stove (two temperatures - extremely hot and off), it is a struggle to put something edible on the table. Last night we had to wait for the smoke to clear before sitting down to eat.

The rainy season is definitely here - if you are moving to or visiting Bangkok soon, make sure you bring an umbrella and a rain poncho with you. It was raining when I woke up yesterday morning but it wasn't heavy enough to stop me from getting out with Sonder for a short walk. About 3 pm, the skies turned black and the wind started to pick up - Caitlynne and I were racing driving home in the golf cart and beat the downpour by just a few seconds. There is one section of the street between our home and ISB that floods pretty badly when it rains heavily and I did not want to get caught on the "wrong" side of the flooding in the storm. I checked the rain gauge this morning and that storm dumped almost 2.5 inches of rain on us! 

Have a great Thursday!

No comments: